Sunday, November 23, 2008

Back in Buenos Aires

I flew back to Buenos Aires yesterday afternoon, after Gustavo drove me out to see the Andes Outfitters' new lodge that is under construction about 17 km out of Junin along the upper reaches of Rio Chimehuin. A bit out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere but with great views of both the river and Lunin volcano. They've got a ways to go in the construction but hope to be open in January. It looks like it'll be nice, with 4 double rooms and a couple of lounges overlooking the river.

Last night I was beat so just got room service and stayed in and read. Today I visited La Boca district, the bohemian section of B.A., where the buildings are painted gaudy colours and often decorated with grotesques of many shapes and sizes. You have to see the pictures. On Sundays (maybe other days too?) there is an open air market and the outdoor cafes are filled with people. There were tango demos and an Indian band making its way through the streets (much like in St Kitts during Jouvert... playing the same march, I think). Interesting place to spend an hour or two.

After that I grabbed a taxi to the Museo de Arte Moderno but it appeared to be under construction... no mention of this on the website. Anyway it turned out to be another interesting neighbourhood and after grabbing a bite to eat I walked many blocks down Calle Defensa which was also lined with stalls selling all manner of goods, new and used, and crowded with people. There was also lots of street music along the way... several bands of young musicians playing what I think is tango music and made up of violins, keyboard, guitar, and usually 3 or 4 accordians. Also solo guitarist/singers. Also quite a number of mimes (the ones completely painted to look like a statue. Very popular gig, it seems).

I then took the subway out to an area where leather goods outlets are located (and the best deals supposed to be found) but discovered them closed, again in spite of what it said on the website. (What's the world coming to when you can't trust the internet, eh?)

I haven't decided whether I'll have the energy to try to take in some tango tonight. It's not a high priority personally, though everyone says it's a must-see. Might wait until I have some company to see it with. I've had just the slightest taste of Buenos Aires... not even an appetiser really... it's an immense city with many distinct neighbourhoods and much to see. But the main course will have to wait for another trip. I look forward to it... it feels like a safe and friendly place...

I tried to upload some pics to a web album but the internet connection here seems to be too slow. So that will have to wait until I'm home.

I'm on my way tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: